HOW TO INSTALL THE ezCAN
for BMW S1000XR/ F750/ F850/ K1600
The following bikes are supported by the ezCAN for BMW S1000XR/ F750/ F850/ K1600
DOWNLOAD, INSTALL & CONFIGURE THE SOFTWARE
Watch a complete installation video here, or follow the step-by-step guide below.
Locate your bike's battery and RDC connector
Route and connect the battery wires
IMPORTANT NOTE: First, unplug the battery negative wire and only attach it at the end again. This is good practice whenever you work on your bike’s electronics.
INSTALL THE ezCAN UNDER THE SEAT
- If your bike has a DWA, that is, ‘anti-theft alarm system’, you will see the DWA module in the small compartment under the rear half of the seat, in front of the taillight. Note the wiring harness plug connected to the module.
- Start by unplugging the CAN-Bus connector from the DWA control unit.
- The HEX ezCAN has two CAN-Bus connectors. Plug the male HEX ezCAN terminal into the CAN-Bus wiring harness and plug the female HEX ezCAN terminal into the DWA Control unit.
- Start by unplugging the cap from the DWA connector plug.
- Plug the male HEX ezCAN terminal into the CAN-Bus connector.
- Replace the cap on the female HEX ezCAN terminal.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Both the male and female ezCAN CAN-Bus terminals must be connected correctly. Do not connect to any other component or to any other part of the motorcycle’s wiring harness. If you do, the ezCAN will not function.
Connect accessories under colour coding
The HEX ezCAN kit includes eight stub connectors with male connection terminals. The eight stub connectors are made up of the following types:
– 4 x three wire stub connectors
– 4 x two wire stub connectors
If your auxiliary lights have three wires use the three wire stub connectors. If not the two-wire stub connectors must be used for accessories that have power and ground wires only.
If you are not going to use one or more of the circuit functions it is recommended that you install a blanking plug over the unused output. The HEX ezCAN product contains two blanking plugs.
The colour-coding on the output wires must match the colours in the output configuration you select from the HEX ezCAN circuit function software. Red to red, yellow to yellow, etc. Black wire is Battery Negative and the Red, Blue,Yellow and White are the Positive Supply.
Connect the terminals of the high-power stub connectors to the correct female terminals on the ezCAN.
Connect the spotlight’s ground wire to the ground wire of the stub connector.
If you are installing spotlights equipped with a third wire for light-intensity control, connect the spotlight control wire to the control wire of the stub connector. If the spotlight only has two wires, use the two wire stub connectors.
Test the installation
Most newly installed accessories can be tested simply with the ignition “ON”, but some brake functions will require the bike to be in motion and travelling above a certain speed. For example, emergency braking requires deceleration of more than 21km/h/s (kilometres per hour per second).
SAFETY NOTICE: Test and check your installations and accessories in a safe, controlled environment. Caution is advised at all times. Extra vigilance is required when testing new features or accessories. You do so at your own risk.
DISCLAIMER: HEX ezCAN is not liable for any injury or damage howsoever caused and all products and services are used at your own risk.